Tuesday, May 22, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR ERICKA JOHNSON


    ERICKA BROADDUS JOHNSON


Ericka Broaddus Johnson can be described as funny, intelligent, sassy, outspoken and a host of other things. But, if you were to ask her, I’m, sure the most important thing she’d want you to know is that she is “a child of God.” Plainly put she “loves God and my relationship with Him. I am His child and I am human. So often people equate mention of God with perfection-but for me it’s more about striving t be the best person I can while realizing that I WILL and DO make mistakes. The key is whether I getting up and continuing on… if I can do that then I can look myself in the mirror every day without regret.”
In addition to the above, Johnson is a native of Richmond, Virginia and graduated with honors from the Henrico County Public School System. Furthering that she went on to graduate from James Madison University where she proudly proclaims to “Bleed Purple”. She has also worked in the banking, finance, and securities industries. Currently, she is in the field of Real Estate and is a Notary Public. But of all these things family is at the center of her heart; and the titles of Mother and Military Spouse reign supreme.


3375 Why did you begin writing?

Ericka I started writing in my spare time when I was younger. If I was 'bored' as a kid, or if I was having a moment of solitude, or if I was just going through something that I wanted to get out and didn't necessarily feel comfortable expressing it aloud.

3375 How long have you been writing?

Ericka I've probably been writing since I was eight.

3375 Tell me a little about your personal writing process?

Ericka Most times when I write there is some sort of 'muse'. It could be my experience during the day, it could be rainy and I just want to unwind, or I could just be going about the normal day to day tasks throughout the day, and I get the notion to put my thoughts on paper.

3375 What is the hardest part aspect of being a writer?

Ericka For me the hardest part about being a writer is sharing my writing. Erykah Badu's line, "keep in mind I'm an artist and I'm sensitive about my s#=!" Applies directly to me. Except I don't always look at myself as an artist. I view myself more as individual who put her thoughts/ideas on paper, probably because I don't eat, sleep, and breathe writing.

3375 How do you manage to balance writing with other real-life things (like children, etc)?

Ericka Balancing 'life' is very challenging. Being a military spouse can be very demanding, as you are responsible for the children, the household, and your mate. It can sometimes leave you with the daunting task of figuring out where you or what you like to do fit in?? Late nights, interrupted sleep and long showers are probably where a lot of my ideas are revisited.

3375 Where do you find your inspiration?

Ericka Real People' are my inspiration. Celebrities are great, but they are not my inspiration. When I see an older person, I'm talking 80+ going on about their day and doing their thing that inspires me. It makes me fee l like I can push through or press on.

3375 Tell us one random fact about you.

Ericka Horses are my favorite animals! At some point, I would like to have my own horse.

3375 Who are some of your favorite authors?

Ericka Some of my favorite authors are: Tami Hoag, Dean Koontz, Joyce Meyers, Lance Watson, Eric Jerome Dickey, and Kay Hooper

3375 As a new author was there any challege?

Ericka One of the biggest challenges for me was getting the word out and getting in front of my target audience.

3375 What does the future hold for Ericka?

Ericka I have a children's story book on the horizon. It has already been copywritten, I am just awaiting the illustrations. Be on the look out for that if you have children or teach them.

3375 Is there anything else you would like my readers to know about you or your books?

Ericka In the Mournig will challenge your thoughts while exposing my experiences in life.

3375 Do you have any shout out?

Ericka I would be remiss if I didn't shout out my family and friends as they are supportive of every endeavor I pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment